Monday, August 20, 2012

Garbage Bags of Change

Calling myself cheap, when it comes to spending money, makes me sound, well...cheap.  I would say that I am a bargain hunter and as of lately, a clothes deposit bin.  In the last 18 months I lost 50 pounds, got divorced, and to say that I have to be careful with money, is fair.  

I don't like to pay a lot for clothes. That's the truth. I think this comes from the fact that I always seemed to change sizes often and never wanted to spend the money.  Now that I have maintained the size that I am now for as long as I have, it is time to define my style. I spent one year moving down in size but really ended up with a new body I didn't know how to dress AND a closet of clothes of varying sizes and styles.

One of the best fashion related phone calls I ever received was from my dear friend Annie. She was calling to let me know that HER friend, who was now a size negative 4 or something like that and who had once been my size, was looking to donate her expensive wardrobe to a poor soul who needed help.  Those bags of clothes were about five seconds away from going to Good Will, but Annie rescued them for me. 

When I picked up those bulging black garbage bags and began trying on these pieces that actually fit me, I held my own private fashion show.  I showed no shame in accepting this gift and really, all that was missing from my small runway was a soundtrack and flashing bulbs.

I gained a few things that day.

+More pants and jeans than I would ever need...I mean, seriously...and while I am eternally grateful to this friend of a friend, who needs ten pairs of jeans??

+The knowledge that these clothes from Macy's and higher end designers would be the first and last time I would acquire such items

+An opportunity to rethink my style

I had received the basics and after a year of putting together many sort of boring, getting by the seat of your pants (figuratively and literally) outfits, I found and became mildly obsessed with Pinterest, and particularly the creation of two boards, the first that I simply have called, "Desserts" and the second, lovingly, "Fashion...Not My Strength, But I am Trying." HA!

These two boards which I have pinned to my heart's content all summer long have caused two things to happen.  A weight gain of 7ish pounds...thank you self-control for failing me now. AND for my foray into women's fashion.  

While my teacher friends have been posting multitudes of education related pins as July has turned into August, I have likely surprised them with my own pin additions of outfits, ways to tie scarves, accessories every woman should have in their wardrobe, etc, etc, etc. 

I noticed something though...the outfits posted on Pinterest would fit your average size 2 woman! (Dare I mention that I am, at times, prone to sarcasm?)These beautiful clothing ensembles with everything you could use from head to toe to make the perfect outfit are for women that look like Annie's garbage bag toting donating gal pal and I certainly, in my 5 foot 3, size 8 body want to see what it looks like on ME!!!

So here we are. You and me. New friends. Please be my wing girl on this new venture into finding my style.

Hugs 4 you,

Dana




No comments:

Post a Comment