Friday, August 31, 2012

Making a Statement (Necklace)

In the 80s and 90s, my Nana Pauline ROCKED the beaded necklace.  I clearly remember rifling through her tall lucite jewelry case, as a child, touching the smooth, cool, colorful beads of the magnitude of necklaces she owned. She had one for every outfit, it seemed.  Images of appliqued sweaters and bedazzled blouses come to mind paired with long beads that traveled to practically her navel.

Somehow, in my 20s when she sadly passed away, I inherited a ton of said beaded necklaces.  I seriously never thought I would wear them and for a period of time when dress up was such a big deal in the life of my daughter, those beaded baubles made their way into her tiny hands and she adored them.

Enter 2012, earlier this summer, and after seeing the words "statement necklace" repeated over and over again on the Net I thought about those necklaces.  Digging through dusty basement boxes, I hit jackpot and as I sat on my bed touching those smooth, cool, colorful, and amazing beads, I felt that I could ROCK the beaded necklace too!

Check out some of my personal collection of statement necklaces, left to me by my Nana Pauline!!


Black rounded square beads with shiny grey beads

Large white beads with yellow and gold accents


Natural stone "jelly bean" necklace


Asian blue floral beads doubled over but can also be worn long




White beads with elongated octagon

Colored rocks doubled over


Light blue with Asian blue floral bead accents
Go ahead, raid those jewelry boxes of the awesome (more mature) women in your life...you may just find a modern treasure to wear over your heart! 


  









  

No comments:

Post a Comment